February 8-10, 2002 - Washington, D.C.


Because of my pro-choice work in college, NARAL sent me to Washington, D.C. for some student activism training. We were staying near Dupont Circle, had a big welcome dinner after arriving, and the next day were in training from morning to night! It was exhausting but great.

After dinner (at a delicious Indian restaurant) the last night there, a few of us (the two of us from Texas, and the two from Michigan) left early and did some late night touring. 

Didn't get a picture of these myself, and couldn't find one of the Women's or Korean online taken at night. Sad because the Korean memorial was really cool! The statues were dimly lit and when you first look at them, it looks real. They're life-sized; it was really great. And along the Vietnam memorial there were a bunch of letters from elementary students re: 9/11. 

I always heard stories about how unsafe DC was, but the four female college students walking around the monuments at night, riding the subway, figuring our way around (not one of us had been there before, if I remember correctly) felt totally safe. : )

Did some souvenir shopping at Kramerbooks on my way to the airport the next morning...  
It's not very DC-ish, but how could I not pick this up??

No comments: