New Mexico & Arizona 6/2010

T and I took a road trip to Arizona for my family reunion. He'd never seen W. Texas+ before, and W. Texas is probably one of my favorite landscapes so I was thrilled. Took SOOOOO many pictures... you can view them all here and here but below are a few.

We drove from Austin to Las Cruces NM, had dinner at my Grandma's favorite place in Old Mesilla, and then headed west in the morning. 


Steins (Ghost Town) off of I10 (NM)
Finally saw the "typical" cactus from the movies! (AZ)
Fortunately/Unfortunately I was driving the stretch north of Phoenix, Interstate-17, and it was the BEST DRIVE EVER- fast, curvy, ups and downs, semis going 65mph with me! Thank goodness I was in a car (Mazda 6) that could a) handle it and b) handle me! My knuckles were white. But it was awesome. Beautiful views, but as the photographer was driving... no pictures to share. I'm thinking that the best part of Phoenix is leaving it. Sorry Phoenix- your traffic sucks and you don't look like too much fun. But I17 until about Camp Verde... well. OMG FUN!

The Reunion was at Mormon Creek Lodge, just south of Flagstaff.

Where we ate many meals. The meeting room is towards the "lake"
behind the lodge.
Our room was the one one the left.
Such an uncomfortable bed and a not-pretty little room.
You'd think for the price paid the bed would at least have been comfy.
And there was a horrid fluorescent light above the bed. Lame.
Went with Dad & Sue for a day trip to the Grand Canyon!

We just did the small walking part by the visitors center, then i believe drove around the south rim.  And it rained off an on. Even hailed which made taking pictures difficult towards the end.


He didn't like it as much as me, poor guy.
See? A little rain out there.
Yes, I step up to the edge; and scared my Dad many, many times.
It was worth it.  He didn't get this shot.
After the Grand Canyon, we stopped and saw a couple gorges. I had no problem with the G.C. but this little colorado gorge caused my stomach to lurch at one point.

And this was that point:
  Just seeing the picture brings it all back!
Then heading home that Saturday, saw a lot of dinosaurs.
Yup, this is historically accurate. Totally.

NM
Very fun trip. Great scenery and fun sights. Looking forward to us getting a new car (eventually) so can explore west TX together.

No comments: